Part consulting firm, part think tank, part accelerator – Criterion drives social change by scaling ventures and shaping market systems across diverse business and philanthropic sectors
Led business development, project delivery, quality assurance and team management of large scale consulting engagements.
- Representative clients: City Light Capital, SJF Institute, Women’s Funding Network, Freedom from Hunger, The Environmental Defense Fund, Trinity Church Wall Street, The Rockefeller Foundation, Hunt Alternatives Fund, Monterey Bay Aquarium, The World Hunger Fund of the ELCA, Memphis Methodist Hospital, North Atlantic Co, CCA Global Partners, The AARP Foundation and The Van Lunen Foundation.
Designed innovative field building initiatives that created connections between previously unconnected allies to accelerate impact and enable collective action
- Women Effect Investments - Designed and ran an initiative to create a new field, gender lens investing, (investing for financial return and positive impact on women and girls). Gathered a global community including over 40 partners, 25 significant individual philanthropists and a mailing list of 2,000. Supported the launch of new vehicles driving over $100M to investments with a gender lens.
- Church as an Economic Being – Drove projects across a spectrum of faith based clients to bring the world of institutional church and of social capital together, including the launch of charter schools, pilots around energy efficiency and the design of loan funds out of church capital.
- Convergence – Co-hosted an annual event attended by 50 top social change leaders which leverages curated small group conversations to build from the expertise gathered and accelerate the work of all participants.
Developed design and business plans for new ventures, and participated in their launch
- Structure Lab – Through developing and facilitating Structure Lab workshops, helped over 600 entrepreneurs and organizations think through their legal and financial structures with an eye to growth and mission preservation.
- Good Capital – Leveraged a variety of networks to surface high net worth individual investors and presented them with the opportunity to invest in the Social Enterprise Expansion Fund, a pioneering fund providing risk capital to scale sustainable social ventures. Closed $750K of the fund, including the first investor.
- Life of Leaders - Created a model for holistic executive physicals, in partnership with a $2B hospital system.
Work In Progress
A non-profit network of college-based clubs operating a student-driven job creation and matching program to bridge the gap between education and professional opportunity
Co-Founder and Executive Director
Conceived of, developed, and launched organizations on five Massachusetts campuses. Managed network operations and developed growth strategy.
- Created strategic plan and developed all aspects of operations, including marketing, organizational infrastructure, member intranet, training curriculum and tools, club processes, in-kind and financial support.
- Recruited and oversaw an extensive volunteer network of student leaders, club mentors, advisors and Directors.
An International voice over IP company with annual revenues of $165 million offering converged communication services wholesale to telecommunication companies
Vice President – Unified Messaging Line of Business
Established and managed a business unit with $10 million in annual revenues and 40 employees.
- Created the branding for a new service; sold and delivered to companies such as Sprint, Telus and Vodafone.
- Provided continuous messaging services (voicemail, email, fax) to over 4 million customers globally.
- Negotiated hardware, software and professional services contracts with Cisco, EMC, Openwave and Veritas.
Director of Business Development
Hired as the first marketing and business development resource in an aggressive growth company. Created a marketing plan, recruited staff, and established strategic alliances instrumental in enabling the company to go public.
- Established a strategic alliance with Cisco Systems resulting in joint marketing, business development and technology partnership. Negotiated Global Account status (limited to 30 service providers globally).
- Architected alliances with HP, EMC and Openwave Systems, including elements such as sales incentive programs, a global seminar series, and just in time manufacturing.
- Led the effort to create a new corporate brand, including name, logo and full marketing materials.
A $200 million strategic consulting division of Computer Sciences Corporation
Managing Associate - Management Consulting
Designed and managed engagements that resulted in stronger competitive and financial positions for clients. Example assignments include:
- Strategic Partnering, Fortune 500 Life Sciences Company; Pharmaceutical Division. Designed an initiative to increase the resources for key areas. Mobilized staff, developed strategic supplier partnerships and managed cross-unit relationships. Six teams delivered over $30 million of annual benefits
- Human Resources Redesign, Canadian Oil and Gas Marketer. Facilitated teams through the redesign of staffing systems, total compensation processes, performance support systems and work and job design.
- Recruiting and Staffing Processes Redesign, Chicago Public Schools. Lead a team as part of a citywide effort to re-engineer the school system. Highlighted root issues of teacher shortage and implemented a new process. Teacher hiring increased by 100% in the first year of the operation.
- Maintenance Process Redesign, Midwest Electric Utility. Coached two teams through an intensive maintenance reengineering effort in the highly regulated nuclear power industry. Planned thorough testing and implementation.
United States Congress
Programming Analyst, The Congressional Budget Office
Designed and maintained economic models illustrating the effects of legislation changes in the areas of poverty, health, housing and education.
Social Investment Fund, Ross School of Business, Advisory Board
First student driven socially focused investment fund
Opportunity Collaboration, Steering Committee
Prosperity Candle, Advisory Board
Grand Rapids, MI
Empowering women entrepreneurs in places of conflict and natural disaster to build businesses
Judge for wide range of competitions
Examples include Echoing Green, Hitachi Foundation, Bunson Challenge, and the Social Impact Exchange
Speaking engagements across the sector
Recent examples include the National Press Club, Women’s Funding Network, Harvard Business School, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, SOCAP, and Women Donors Network
The University of Michigan Business School
1994, Ann Arbor, MI
Master of Business Administration, Organizational Behavior and Corporate Strategy
Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, Minor in Computer Science, GPA 3.8 (4.0)